Kempton: Gentry handling Michael Beasley the right way
The Phoenix Suns may have to realize their prominent free agent acquisition was a bust, but they haven't done so yet.
The Suns signed Michael Beasley to a three-year, $18 million contract and was viewed as a reclamation project for team management and head coach Alvin Gentry. Thus far, Beasley has proven to be just that -- a work in progress.
Suns' color analyst Tim Kempton praised Gentry for his usage of Beasley and knowing when it's time to sit him.
"They are getting him plenty of shots, they expect him to shoot the ball and be involved in the offense," Kempton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Thursday. "But Alvin Gentry's been very clear if you're not performing well that night we can't have you on the floor because we don't have that luxury."
Beasley's struggled mightily to find consistency on the floor. In fact, the Suns have often fared better this season with their small forward on the bench, and as a result he's seen his playing time decrease.
Kempton said Gentry understands if Beasley's off one night, the Suns can ill afford to have him out on the court.
"We don't have the luxury of putting someone like a Michael Beasley out there to be unproductive for this team to win."
The 23-year-old has averaged 11.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 26.3 minutes this season.
- Suns Strokes: Ginobili takes over, as San Antonio ends Phoenix's five-game win streak
- Ginobili, Spurs snap Suns' 5-game winning streak
- Phoenix Suns ‘can't relax' against shorthanded San Antonio Spurs
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic 'just having fun'
- Phoenix Suns GM McDonough says Plumlee, Frye made Marcin Gortat expendable
- The DISH - December 18, 2013 - Wednesday December 18Jon Bloom gives us this day in Suns' history.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns GM - Tuesday December 17Miles Plumlee has thrived since the Marcin Gortat trade.
- Frank Isola, NY Daily News - Tuesday December 17The mess that is the NY Knicks, and what an east coast analyst thinks of the Suns.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday December 17What is the future for the Suns back court?
- The DISH - December 15, 2013 - Sunday December 15Jon Bloom gives us this day in Suns' history.