Suns Strokes: Third quarter struggles lead to fifth straight loss
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 97-94 loss to the Mavericks on December 6.
Suns forward Markieff Morris grabbed a career-high and team season-high 17 rebounds (nine in the first quarter) to go along with 15 points, tallying his second career double-double.
In three home starts this season, Morris is averaging 19 points and nine rebounds while shooting 64.9 percent from the field (24-of-37), including 66.7 percent from three-point range (4-of-6).
The Suns -- dropping their season-high fifth straight game -- went 7:01 between field goals in the third quarter, missing 13 of 14 shots while getting outscored 23-to-4.
He Said It:
"It's tough," Goran Dragic said. "It is always the same story. We came up short. They make a great run in the 3rd quarter. We are trailing in the fourth quarter and then we are trying to get back and we did. It is just tough. You're tired. They make some... O.J. Mayo makes that great shot. It's tough."
Forward Michael Beasley for the 10th time in 20 games did not play in the fourth quarter. He is shooting 31.2 percent (15-of-48) in his last five games.
Center Jermaine O'Neal (poked in the eye) and forward P.J. Tucker (sprained medial collateral ligament, right knee) left the game in the second half and did not return.
The Suns (7-13) travel to L.A. to play the Pacific Division-leading Clippers (12-6) on Saturday, December 8. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 1:30 p.m.
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t