Suns Strokes: Third quarter struggles lead to fifth straight loss
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 97-94 loss to the Mavericks on December 6.
Suns forward Markieff Morris grabbed a career-high and team season-high 17 rebounds (nine in the first quarter) to go along with 15 points, tallying his second career double-double.
In three home starts this season, Morris is averaging 19 points and nine rebounds while shooting 64.9 percent from the field (24-of-37), including 66.7 percent from three-point range (4-of-6).
The Suns -- dropping their season-high fifth straight game -- went 7:01 between field goals in the third quarter, missing 13 of 14 shots while getting outscored 23-to-4.
He Said It:
"It's tough," Goran Dragic said. "It is always the same story. We came up short. They make a great run in the 3rd quarter. We are trailing in the fourth quarter and then we are trying to get back and we did. It is just tough. You're tired. They make some... O.J. Mayo makes that great shot. It's tough."
Forward Michael Beasley for the 10th time in 20 games did not play in the fourth quarter. He is shooting 31.2 percent (15-of-48) in his last five games.
Center Jermaine O'Neal (poked in the eye) and forward P.J. Tucker (sprained medial collateral ligament, right knee) left the game in the second half and did not return.
The Suns (7-13) travel to L.A. to play the Pacific Division-leading Clippers (12-6) on Saturday, December 8. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 1:30 p.m.
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach