Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 11:00 am
Suns coach Gentry: 'It was a total abortion, really'
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons is worse.
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons by a score of 117-77 -- a 40 points margin -- is, well, we'll let Suns coach Alvin Gentry tell you what it is.
"There's nothing to say, it was a total abortion, really," Gentry told FoxSports Arizona after the game Wednesday. "I wish there was an easier way to put it, but we sucked in all phases of the game."
The Suns were tied with the Pistons, who entered the game just 4-11 on the season, 24-24 at the end of the first quarter.
From there they were outscored 93-53, and never even threatened to make any kind of run.
"It's the first game I can say that I didn't think we competed hard and didn't try to match their energy level, Gentry said.
The Suns, who fell to 7-9 on the season, are in the middle of a six-game road trip. They're 1-2 so far after beating Cleveland but losing to Philadelphia and Detroit, and now head north to take on the Toronto Raptors before facing the New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies.
Gentry called his team's performance in Detroit "beyond embarrassing," adding that if he was a Suns fan or part of management he'd be "totally pissed off, and rightfully so."
The Suns shot 34.1 percent from the field, made just six of their 21 three point attempts, were outrebounded and had more turnovers than assists.
In short, Gentry is absolutely correct.
"There was nothing that we did that you could even say was NCAA quality," he said.
That may be an unnecessary shot at college ballers, but we understand.
- Suns Strokes: Bench leads Phoenix to spirited comeback win in Denver
- Suns rally for 103-99 win over Nuggets
- Former Phoenix Suns player Richard Dumas arrested
- Suns coach Jeff Hornacek: 'These guys expect to win games'
- Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby: 'We already feel validated in terms of our performance'
- The DISH - December 20, 2013 - Friday December 20Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Friday December 20Lon Babby talks about the early season success and Jeff Hornacek.
- Miles Plumlee, Suns center - Thursday December 19The Suns are surprising everyone in a good way.
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Operations - Thursday December 19Reaction to Wednesday's loss to the Spurs and discusses the direction of the franchise.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 19Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Phoenix Suns