Lakers announcer was a fan of D'Antoni in Phoenix
The Suns will have to call their former leaders rivals as they trade their familiar purple and orange gear for Lakers gold.
During the off-season, Suns' legend Steve Nash was traded to the Lakers, and now former head coach Mike D'Antoni will join him in the City of Angels.
While Nash and D'Antoni were together in Phoenix, the Suns won 73 percent of their games over four years
Seeing the two reunited can't help but bring up memories of better days in Phoenix.
John Ireland, the radio voice of the Los Angeles Lakers, joined Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday and reminisced about the ways things used to be for the Suns.
"I have never been to more entertaining games than when D'Antoni was winning 55 games a year with you guys in Phoenix," Ireland said. "I loved the whole act, I loved the way they won, [the way] Nash was dribbling, and there was a Globetrotters element to all of that."
Ireland has traveled with the Lakers since 2002 and said he grew up watching Magic Johnson and the Showtime Lakers.
"What you guys had from ‘04 to ‘09 was the closet things to Showtime that I have ever seen," Ireland said.
Built around Nash, forwards Amar'e Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, the D'Antoni-led Suns won the Pacific Division each of their first three seasons. However in the 2007-08 season, Phoenix traded Marion for center Shaquille O'Neal.
"I think the biggest mistake the Suns ever made was breaking that thing up and trading for Shaq," Ireland said.
At the time of the trade, the Suns had the best record in the Western Conference. But after, the team finished sixth and was eliminated in the first round by the San Antonio Spurs.
Since that time, they have only made the playoffs once.
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns