Updated Nov 9, 2012 - 2:17 pm
Jon Barry: Mike D'Antoni to Lakers 'makes sense'
Names like Indiana Pacers assistant Bryan Shaw, former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and former Suns coach Mike D'Antoni have already surfaced as possible replacements.
Source says Mike D'Antoni would be interested in Lakers job, that he'd listen.— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) November 9, 2012
ESPN NBA Analyst Jon Barry was on with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo and said he feels hiring D'Antoni "makes a whole lot of sense."
D'Antoni took over the Suns midway through the 2003-2004 season and would go on to lead Phoenix to four straight playoffs appearances. Alongside now-Lakers point guard Steve Nash, D'Antoni consistently had one of the most potent offenses in the league.
"It is a style of play that people in LA would love to watch," Barry said. "He has got Dwight Howard on the interior now to be the defender that he never had in Phoenix."
D'Antoni left Phoenix in 2008 to coach the New York Knicks, but resigned last season after a disappointing start to the year.
He is also an assistant coach for Team USA, where he coached Lakers guard Kobe Bryant.
"If Mike [D'Antoni] would hire a defensive coordinator and put his offense in there, it would be a really, really good fit."
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.