Updated Nov 2, 2012 - 10:54 pm
Goran Dragic leads Phoenix Suns to win over Detroit Pistons
Goran Dragic isn't Steve Nash and he never will be, but the Phoenix Suns' new starting point guard is creeping out of the two-time MVP's shadow.
In the Suns' 92-89 win over the Detroit Pistons, Dragic tallied an efficient 15 points on 5-10 shooting with 10 assists and only one turnover.
"I thought [Dragic] was great once again," Suns' head coach Alvin Gentry said. "He created a lot of open looks and we just have to be able to knock down the shots."
Through two games Dragic has averaged 16 points, four rebounds, nine assists and two steals.
The most impressive part when watching Dragic in his first year as a full-time starter is the patience he runs the pick-and-roll with. When the defense collapses on the roll man he doesn't force the ball and hits his secondary options.
"I try to look for Gortat, but the weak side is playing inside the paint," Dragic explained. "The only open pass is at the three-point line or on the weak side. When I have to make that pass I'm going to have to create an open shot for someone else."
Phoenix opened the season going 1-1 on a two-game homestand. Now they head out on the road for this first time this season with a three-game trip starting Sunday in Orlando before heading to Miami to take on the Heat on Monday.
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.