Updated Nov 2, 2012 - 10:54 pm
Goran Dragic leads Phoenix Suns to win over Detroit Pistons
Goran Dragic isn't Steve Nash and he never will be, but the Phoenix Suns' new starting point guard is creeping out of the two-time MVP's shadow.
In the Suns' 92-89 win over the Detroit Pistons, Dragic tallied an efficient 15 points on 5-10 shooting with 10 assists and only one turnover.
"I thought [Dragic] was great once again," Suns' head coach Alvin Gentry said. "He created a lot of open looks and we just have to be able to knock down the shots."
Through two games Dragic has averaged 16 points, four rebounds, nine assists and two steals.
The most impressive part when watching Dragic in his first year as a full-time starter is the patience he runs the pick-and-roll with. When the defense collapses on the roll man he doesn't force the ball and hits his secondary options.
"I try to look for Gortat, but the weak side is playing inside the paint," Dragic explained. "The only open pass is at the three-point line or on the weak side. When I have to make that pass I'm going to have to create an open shot for someone else."
Phoenix opened the season going 1-1 on a two-game homestand. Now they head out on the road for this first time this season with a three-game trip starting Sunday in Orlando before heading to Miami to take on the Heat on Monday.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.