Updated Oct 30, 2012 - 3:13 pm
Suns practice gets chippy day before season opener
October 30, 2012: Morris, Scola exchange pleasantries
After more than two months together, including a week-long training camp in San Diego and eight preseason games, the Suns are ready to move on to the real thing.
They're ready for games to matter. They're ready for games to count. They're ready for the regular season, which tips off Wednesday against Golden State.
And apparently, not a moment too soon.
Things became heated between Markieff Morris and Luis Scola during a scrimmage near the end of practice Tuesday.
Morris took exception to Scola's defense after receiving the basketball out on the wing. Morris shoved the ball into Scola's chest, which did not sit well with the five-year NBA veteran.
Some not-so-nice words were exchanged but nothing more as teammates quickly ran in between the two power forwards, who moments earlier had been battling for position on the low post.
"It's two of the toughest guys we got on our team so a little bit of confrontation is no big deal," head coach Alvin Gentry said afterwords. "We play hard and we compete like crazy so I don't see anything wrong with it.
"It's not like they don't like each other or anything," he continued. "They've got a ton of respect for each other and they play hard. They play against each other every day in practice. That's it. I mean no big deal."
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.