Updated Jul 9, 2012 - 8:05 pm
ESPN insider: Suns did the right thing by Steve Nash
How could the Phoenix Suns let Steve Nash go? And, to facilitate a trade of their franchise guard to the rival Los Angeles Lakers, no less.
While fans are understandably wrestling with emotions of bitterness and betrayal after Nash's shocking departure, ESPN NBA insider Ric Bucher urges the Suns faithful to look at the bigger picture.
"I believe that while certainly, Suns fans, this is probably a tough thing to swallow, from a league perspective, there's currency that [Suns Owner] Robert Sarver has gained in handling it this way," Bucher told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Monday.
Bucher thinks the level of respect Sarver showed Nash in working with him to find the right landing spot is a quality other free agents will admire and could entice them to sign with Phoenix.
"What he did and this is what I've seen great teams do, when they send the player some place, they don't punish him. They don't send him some place that he doesn't want to go. The good ones really try to find something that's palatable and they try to work with the player and that carries a lot of weight with free agents and with agents," Bucher said.
Certainly, the wound is too fresh for Suns fans to find any silver lining in this trade. However, down the road, they might come to realize it didn't turn out so bad after all.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.