Updated Jul 9, 2012 - 8:05 pm
ESPN insider: Suns did the right thing by Steve Nash
How could the Phoenix Suns let Steve Nash go? And, to facilitate a trade of their franchise guard to the rival Los Angeles Lakers, no less.
While fans are understandably wrestling with emotions of bitterness and betrayal after Nash's shocking departure, ESPN NBA insider Ric Bucher urges the Suns faithful to look at the bigger picture.
"I believe that while certainly, Suns fans, this is probably a tough thing to swallow, from a league perspective, there's currency that [Suns Owner] Robert Sarver has gained in handling it this way," Bucher told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Monday.
Bucher thinks the level of respect Sarver showed Nash in working with him to find the right landing spot is a quality other free agents will admire and could entice them to sign with Phoenix.
"What he did and this is what I've seen great teams do, when they send the player some place, they don't punish him. They don't send him some place that he doesn't want to go. The good ones really try to find something that's palatable and they try to work with the player and that carries a lot of weight with free agents and with agents," Bucher said.
Certainly, the wound is too fresh for Suns fans to find any silver lining in this trade. However, down the road, they might come to realize it didn't turn out so bad after all.
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Phoenix Suns enjoy brief break, ready to resume playing
- Suns Strokes: Suns scrape by in win vs. Raptors
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 5How did the Suns beat one of the best NBA offenses?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.