Updated Jul 9, 2012 - 8:05 pm
ESPN insider: Suns did the right thing by Steve Nash
How could the Phoenix Suns let Steve Nash go? And, to facilitate a trade of their franchise guard to the rival Los Angeles Lakers, no less.
While fans are understandably wrestling with emotions of bitterness and betrayal after Nash's shocking departure, ESPN NBA insider Ric Bucher urges the Suns faithful to look at the bigger picture.
"I believe that while certainly, Suns fans, this is probably a tough thing to swallow, from a league perspective, there's currency that [Suns Owner] Robert Sarver has gained in handling it this way," Bucher told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Monday.
Bucher thinks the level of respect Sarver showed Nash in working with him to find the right landing spot is a quality other free agents will admire and could entice them to sign with Phoenix.
"What he did and this is what I've seen great teams do, when they send the player some place, they don't punish him. They don't send him some place that he doesn't want to go. The good ones really try to find something that's palatable and they try to work with the player and that carries a lot of weight with free agents and with agents," Bucher said.
Certainly, the wound is too fresh for Suns fans to find any silver lining in this trade. However, down the road, they might come to realize it didn't turn out so bad after all.
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.