Updated Jul 9, 2012 - 6:19 pm
ESPN insider: Suns likely to land Gordon in sign-and-trade
It's the team's decision to part with Chris Paul that has ESPN NBA insider Ric Bucher thinking they'll ultimately do the same with Eric Gordon.
Score one for Phoenix. Maybe.
"They recognize that they don't want to have a guy there that doesn't want to be there," Bucher told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "That said, they are rebuilding this team, they paid a hefty price to get Eric Gordon, and he's an asset."
Which is why, Bucher said, while the Hornets have maintained that they will match the offer sheet Gordon is set to sign with Phoenix, he believes the budding star will end up with the Suns.
"I don't believe, when all is said and done, that they're going to be opposed to trading him, doing a sign-and-trade to Phoenix with Eric Gordon, but they're going to want to get something back for it."
No matter who would be sent to New Orleans, one would have to figure some draft picks (perhaps the ones arriving from Los Angeles) will be involved.
Bucher didn't say what the pieces in a trade would be, but added that this isn't a case of Gordon agreeing to a deal with the Suns solely to get the Hornets to offer more money. Injuries kept Gordon out of all but nine games, and it's likely he did not get a good enough feel -- or a good feel, really -- about the organization.
"It is genuine, from what I know, that Gordon doesn't want to be in New Orleans," he said. "He does want to be in Phoenix."
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?