Suns rookie Morris prefers a bench role
The Suns rookie is back in his familiar spot, a more comfortable spot: coming off the bench.
"It's the best role for Markieff right now," said head coach Alvin Gentry, who added it was Morris who approached him about re-joining the second unit.
"When I was starting I was taking a backseat," Morris explained. "For me I was kind of deferring to [Marcin] Gortat and Steve [Nash] and Grant [Hill]. I felt like I was just out on the court. I felt like I wasn't doing anything."
Morris scored a total of 17 points (shooting 28.6 percent) during his five-game run as a starter. He's scored 22 points in the three games since returning to a reserve role.
"I just told Alvin I think it would be better if I come off the bench and bring that spark off the bench."
Morris, who wasn't a starter initially at Kansas, is averaging 8.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 16 games with the second unit. All seven of his double-digit scoring efforts have come as a bench player.
"I know my role," he said. "I have to be aggressive because I'm one of the go-to guys off the bench."
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.