Suns rookie Morris prefers a bench role
The Suns rookie is back in his familiar spot, a more comfortable spot: coming off the bench.
"It's the best role for Markieff right now," said head coach Alvin Gentry, who added it was Morris who approached him about re-joining the second unit.
"When I was starting I was taking a backseat," Morris explained. "For me I was kind of deferring to [Marcin] Gortat and Steve [Nash] and Grant [Hill]. I felt like I was just out on the court. I felt like I wasn't doing anything."
Morris scored a total of 17 points (shooting 28.6 percent) during his five-game run as a starter. He's scored 22 points in the three games since returning to a reserve role.
"I just told Alvin I think it would be better if I come off the bench and bring that spark off the bench."
Morris, who wasn't a starter initially at Kansas, is averaging 8.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 16 games with the second unit. All seven of his double-digit scoring efforts have come as a bench player.
"I know my role," he said. "I have to be aggressive because I'm one of the go-to guys off the bench."
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.