Suns rookie Morris prefers a bench role
The Suns rookie is back in his familiar spot, a more comfortable spot: coming off the bench.
"It's the best role for Markieff right now," said head coach Alvin Gentry, who added it was Morris who approached him about re-joining the second unit.
"When I was starting I was taking a backseat," Morris explained. "For me I was kind of deferring to [Marcin] Gortat and Steve [Nash] and Grant [Hill]. I felt like I was just out on the court. I felt like I wasn't doing anything."
Morris scored a total of 17 points (shooting 28.6 percent) during his five-game run as a starter. He's scored 22 points in the three games since returning to a reserve role.
"I just told Alvin I think it would be better if I come off the bench and bring that spark off the bench."
Morris, who wasn't a starter initially at Kansas, is averaging 8.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 16 games with the second unit. All seven of his double-digit scoring efforts have come as a bench player.
"I know my role," he said. "I have to be aggressive because I'm one of the go-to guys off the bench."
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.