Patrick Peterson ranked below Richard Sherman, but Antonio Cromartie also on list of best CBs
Who is the best cover corner in the NFL, Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman?
Plenty of people (including the players themselves) have shared their thoughts on the matter, but truth is there really is no way to tell who is actually better.
They're both really, really good.
But that hasn't stopped people from ranking them because, well, it's the offseason and there is little else to do.
Enter NFL.com's Bucky Brooks, who has been producing all sorts of lists over the last few days. The latest one is on cornerbacks, and he ranks the Cardinals' star second behind the Seahawk.
Regarded as one of the most explosive athletes in the NFL, Peterson has quickly developed into a premier player at his position. He exhibits the kind of athleticism, savvy and ball skills that defensive coordinators dream of, while also possessing the football IQ and awareness to play all over the field. Thrust into a scheme that asks him to handle a lot of responsibility as the designated defensive eraser, Peterson has not only thrived, but he is redefining the position with his unbelievable combination of physical and mental gifts.
It's not like Brooks is slandering Peterson or wronging him by placing him second on the list. The three-time Pro Bowler is ahead of some really talented players, including Darrelle Revis, Joe Haden and Aqib Talib.
He's also ahead of new teammate Antonio Cromartie, who comes in at number eight on the list.
Cromartie created a bit of a stir when he claimed to clock a 4.3-second 40-yard dash at a recent workout, but few evaluators have ever questioned the 30-year-old's freakish athletic traits. Checking in at 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds with long arms, Cromartie mauls receivers at the line with strong jams in press coverage. Although his lack of discipline (with respect to footwork and fundamentals) allows inferior receivers to occasionally make plays, Cromartie is capable of locking down the top receivers in the league. If Cromartie decides to bring his "A" game to Arizona, the Cardinals could have the top cornerback tandem in the NFL. (More on the other guy in the desert in a bit ...)
Whether you think Peterson should be number one or not, any Cardinals fan should be pleased to see the top two corners ranked among the top 10 in the NFL.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.