Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu says recovery is going well
The defensive back is recovering from a torn ACL and LCL suffered in a Week 14 win over the St. Louis Rams, and has been making steady progress as training camp nears.
Mathieu, speaking to the NFL Network, said he's feeling great right now.
"The recovery is going well," he said. "I have a great team around me. My teammates have been great supporters so I'm in positive spirits right now. I'm just looking forward to that day they let me get back on the field."
When that will be is a mystery.
The Cardinals understandably would like to get Mathieu back on the field as soon as possible. His impact was felt in a truncated season last year, as he finished with 68 total tackles, two interceptions, one sack and one forced fumble.
But even then, the team is making sure not to rush the 22-year-old back onto the field, believing a cautious approach will better serve both the team and the player. After all, there is a promising career to think about.
Asked what the team is looking to do with him in training camp, which begins July 25, Mathieu said he wasn't sure what the plan is.
"I'll probably be doing the same thing I did in the spring as far as making sure I'm communicating with the defensive backs, making sure all those guys are on point," he said. "Hopefully I'll be able to get out there and be able to put on at least a helmet and some shoulder pads and run around and be a football player again."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b