Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu says recovery is going well
The defensive back is recovering from a torn ACL and LCL suffered in a Week 14 win over the St. Louis Rams, and has been making steady progress as training camp nears.
Mathieu, speaking to the NFL Network, said he's feeling great right now.
"The recovery is going well," he said. "I have a great team around me. My teammates have been great supporters so I'm in positive spirits right now. I'm just looking forward to that day they let me get back on the field."
When that will be is a mystery.
The Cardinals understandably would like to get Mathieu back on the field as soon as possible. His impact was felt in a truncated season last year, as he finished with 68 total tackles, two interceptions, one sack and one forced fumble.
But even then, the team is making sure not to rush the 22-year-old back onto the field, believing a cautious approach will better serve both the team and the player. After all, there is a promising career to think about.
Asked what the team is looking to do with him in training camp, which begins July 25, Mathieu said he wasn't sure what the plan is.
"I'll probably be doing the same thing I did in the spring as far as making sure I'm communicating with the defensive backs, making sure all those guys are on point," he said. "Hopefully I'll be able to get out there and be able to put on at least a helmet and some shoulder pads and run around and be a football player again."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.