Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 1:21 pm
Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Hold rookie enthusiasm until pads come on
Keim acknowledged Friday on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM that he's both excited with the players he drafted, but is also holding back until he seems them practice in pads.
"When you sit in my chair, you have to temper your enthusiasm a bit and wait until the pads come on because we all know that a lot of guys can look great running around in shorts and helmets, but when the lights come on and the big boy pads come on, things can quickly change," Keim said.
One player that caught Keim's eye was the team's first-round pick, safety Deone Bucannon, who impressed him with his work ethic.
"Deone Bucannon is everything we thought he was as a worker, as a student of the game," Keim said. "There were times where he was begging our coaches to meet him on Sunday night to study film."
The Cardinals' next pick, tight end Troy Niklas, broke his right hand at Cardinals minicamp, but is expected back for training camp. Niklas needs the reps more than most because he only played two seasons at the position at Notre Dame.
"Before the injury, he's a guy that quickly picked up our offense," Keim said. "He's extremely intelligent, has all the physical tools, and we feel very strongly about him."
Of all the rookies, wide receiver John Brown flashed the most potential during OTAs and the team's minicamp. Keim said the third-round pick "has almost looked too good to be true."
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.