Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 1:21 pm
Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Hold rookie enthusiasm until pads come on
Keim acknowledged Friday on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM that he's both excited with the players he drafted, but is also holding back until he seems them practice in pads.
"When you sit in my chair, you have to temper your enthusiasm a bit and wait until the pads come on because we all know that a lot of guys can look great running around in shorts and helmets, but when the lights come on and the big boy pads come on, things can quickly change," Keim said.
One player that caught Keim's eye was the team's first-round pick, safety Deone Bucannon, who impressed him with his work ethic.
"Deone Bucannon is everything we thought he was as a worker, as a student of the game," Keim said. "There were times where he was begging our coaches to meet him on Sunday night to study film."
The Cardinals' next pick, tight end Troy Niklas, broke his right hand at Cardinals minicamp, but is expected back for training camp. Niklas needs the reps more than most because he only played two seasons at the position at Notre Dame.
"Before the injury, he's a guy that quickly picked up our offense," Keim said. "He's extremely intelligent, has all the physical tools, and we feel very strongly about him."
Of all the rookies, wide receiver John Brown flashed the most potential during OTAs and the team's minicamp. Keim said the third-round pick "has almost looked too good to be true."
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b