All-Pro receiver says Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson is tougher matchup than Richard Sherman
Last month, Peterson lit the fuse of the discussion when he said he doesn't consider Sherman to be a shutdown corner during a conversation with Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
The bickering and stat comparisons spilled over to Twitter, but we haven't heard much since.
Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowl receiver Julio Jones has weighed in on the subject, and he's got Peterson's back.
In an interview with CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, Jones talked about how Sherman will only play one side of the field, while other top corners, such as Peterson, will shadow him all over the field since he's the Falcons' top wideout.
"Patrick Peterson, he stays with me," Jones said. "I've been playing Pat since college. Me and him have had our share of battles. We go back and forth, we've got respect for each other. He's not a trash talker or anything. We just compete."
Prisco is ranking the top 100 players in the NFL this offseason, and told Jones that he's got Peterson ranked higher than Sherman because the Cardinals' star will shadow the opposition's best receiver, unlike Sherman.
Prisco then asked Jones whom he believes is the tougher matchup of the two.
"Probably Patrick Peterson, because like I said, he follows me everywhere," Jones said. "Sherman usually plays the right side.
"The majority of the time, he's a right corner. Pat, he does everything, not only being a cornerback. He comes over and catches a few balls on offense, he returns kicks and punts."
T-minus 30 seconds until we hear a Sherman rebuttal.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.