All-Pro receiver says Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson is tougher matchup than Richard Sherman
Last month, Peterson lit the fuse of the discussion when he said he doesn't consider Sherman to be a shutdown corner during a conversation with Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
The bickering and stat comparisons spilled over to Twitter, but we haven't heard much since.
Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowl receiver Julio Jones has weighed in on the subject, and he's got Peterson's back.
In an interview with CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, Jones talked about how Sherman will only play one side of the field, while other top corners, such as Peterson, will shadow him all over the field since he's the Falcons' top wideout.
"Patrick Peterson, he stays with me," Jones said. "I've been playing Pat since college. Me and him have had our share of battles. We go back and forth, we've got respect for each other. He's not a trash talker or anything. We just compete."
Prisco is ranking the top 100 players in the NFL this offseason, and told Jones that he's got Peterson ranked higher than Sherman because the Cardinals' star will shadow the opposition's best receiver, unlike Sherman.
Prisco then asked Jones whom he believes is the tougher matchup of the two.
"Probably Patrick Peterson, because like I said, he follows me everywhere," Jones said. "Sherman usually plays the right side.
"The majority of the time, he's a right corner. Pat, he does everything, not only being a cornerback. He comes over and catches a few balls on offense, he returns kicks and punts."
T-minus 30 seconds until we hear a Sherman rebuttal.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.