All-Pro receiver says Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson is tougher matchup than Richard Sherman
Last month, Peterson lit the fuse of the discussion when he said he doesn't consider Sherman to be a shutdown corner during a conversation with Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
The bickering and stat comparisons spilled over to Twitter, but we haven't heard much since.
Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowl receiver Julio Jones has weighed in on the subject, and he's got Peterson's back.
In an interview with CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, Jones talked about how Sherman will only play one side of the field, while other top corners, such as Peterson, will shadow him all over the field since he's the Falcons' top wideout.
"Patrick Peterson, he stays with me," Jones said. "I've been playing Pat since college. Me and him have had our share of battles. We go back and forth, we've got respect for each other. He's not a trash talker or anything. We just compete."
Prisco is ranking the top 100 players in the NFL this offseason, and told Jones that he's got Peterson ranked higher than Sherman because the Cardinals' star will shadow the opposition's best receiver, unlike Sherman.
Prisco then asked Jones whom he believes is the tougher matchup of the two.
"Probably Patrick Peterson, because like I said, he follows me everywhere," Jones said. "Sherman usually plays the right side.
"The majority of the time, he's a right corner. Pat, he does everything, not only being a cornerback. He comes over and catches a few balls on offense, he returns kicks and punts."
T-minus 30 seconds until we hear a Sherman rebuttal.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b