All-Pro receiver says Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson is tougher matchup than Richard Sherman
Last month, Peterson lit the fuse of the discussion when he said he doesn't consider Sherman to be a shutdown corner during a conversation with Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
The bickering and stat comparisons spilled over to Twitter, but we haven't heard much since.
Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowl receiver Julio Jones has weighed in on the subject, and he's got Peterson's back.
In an interview with CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, Jones talked about how Sherman will only play one side of the field, while other top corners, such as Peterson, will shadow him all over the field since he's the Falcons' top wideout.
"Patrick Peterson, he stays with me," Jones said. "I've been playing Pat since college. Me and him have had our share of battles. We go back and forth, we've got respect for each other. He's not a trash talker or anything. We just compete."
Prisco is ranking the top 100 players in the NFL this offseason, and told Jones that he's got Peterson ranked higher than Sherman because the Cardinals' star will shadow the opposition's best receiver, unlike Sherman.
Prisco then asked Jones whom he believes is the tougher matchup of the two.
"Probably Patrick Peterson, because like I said, he follows me everywhere," Jones said. "Sherman usually plays the right side.
"The majority of the time, he's a right corner. Pat, he does everything, not only being a cornerback. He comes over and catches a few balls on offense, he returns kicks and punts."
T-minus 30 seconds until we hear a Sherman rebuttal.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.