Updated Jun 10, 2014 - 2:44 pm
Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: 'I want to be a playmaker'
The Cardinals' first-round draft pick also knows that doesn't mean anything when it comes to playing at football's highest level.
"Everyone out here has the physical tools to be a great player; it's just a matter of who's going to be smarter," Bucannon said Tuesday after the team's first minicamp practice. "That's my goal, to be the smartest player out there. I want to learn the playbook the best I can."
Bucannon has plenty of experience with what it takes to be successful on the football field. He was named a first-team All-American and first-team All-Pac-12 in his final season at Washington State, and he led the conference in both interceptions and tackles.
But the 6-foot-1, 208-pounder didn't rack up those stats purely through physical ability -- though he has plenty of that, too. Bucannon said he prides himself on being one of the smartest players on the field, and that's something he expects to continue into his NFL career.
"There's always room for improvement," he said. "I understand the defense, now I want to take it to the next level. I want to be a playmaker."
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Bucannon took an important step Tuesday after missing time with a foot injury during OTAs last week, adding that "he needs it, psychologically, just to get out there to play."
Bucannon's knowledge of the game and ability to quickly understand schemes and concepts hasn't gone unnoticed on teammates -- particularly ones he'll share a defensive backfield with.
"He can do it all," safety Rashad Johnson said. "He's a very smart guy and I'm looking forward to what he's going to do this year."
And if Bucannon has his way, Johnson will have a lot to enjoy watching in 2014.
"I expect a lot out of myself," Bucannon said, "and I'm going to get a lot out of myself."
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves