Updated Jun 10, 2014 - 2:44 pm
Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: 'I want to be a playmaker'
The Cardinals' first-round draft pick also knows that doesn't mean anything when it comes to playing at football's highest level.
"Everyone out here has the physical tools to be a great player; it's just a matter of who's going to be smarter," Bucannon said Tuesday after the team's first minicamp practice. "That's my goal, to be the smartest player out there. I want to learn the playbook the best I can."
Bucannon has plenty of experience with what it takes to be successful on the football field. He was named a first-team All-American and first-team All-Pac-12 in his final season at Washington State, and he led the conference in both interceptions and tackles.
But the 6-foot-1, 208-pounder didn't rack up those stats purely through physical ability -- though he has plenty of that, too. Bucannon said he prides himself on being one of the smartest players on the field, and that's something he expects to continue into his NFL career.
"There's always room for improvement," he said. "I understand the defense, now I want to take it to the next level. I want to be a playmaker."
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Bucannon took an important step Tuesday after missing time with a foot injury during OTAs last week, adding that "he needs it, psychologically, just to get out there to play."
Bucannon's knowledge of the game and ability to quickly understand schemes and concepts hasn't gone unnoticed on teammates -- particularly ones he'll share a defensive backfield with.
"He can do it all," safety Rashad Johnson said. "He's a very smart guy and I'm looking forward to what he's going to do this year."
And if Bucannon has his way, Johnson will have a lot to enjoy watching in 2014.
"I expect a lot out of myself," Bucannon said, "and I'm going to get a lot out of myself."
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- John Brown is like…
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.