ESPN: Arizona Cardinals a regression candidate in 2014
Yates, citing linebacker concerns and the difficult NFC West, projects the Cardinals to finish 7-9 in 2014.
The Cardinals recently lost linebacker Daryl Washington to a season-long suspension, leaving an already-thin linebacker corps in rough shape. Karlos Dansby is now a Cleveland Brown, leaving Kevin Minter (one career defensive snap) and Larry Foote (age 33) as projected starters. Minter is a downhill thumper, but unproven. Foote has the instincts and savvy to quarterback a defense, but the range concerns are legitimate. The Cardinals were just 3-6 against teams with winning records in 2013 and play in the best division in the NFL.
The depleted linebacker corps certainly hurts Cardinals' defense, but the team's schedule is only slightly tougher than last season (.547 opponent win percentage in 2014 vs. .533 in 2013).
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.