Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tabbed as 2014 'breakout player' by CBS Sports
The Arizona Cardinals nabbed running back Andre Ellington out of Clemson with a sixth-round pick in 2013. Ellington had two consecutive 1,000-yard seasons for the Tigers, and when his career was done, he left campus as the fourth-leading rusher (3,404 yards) in the program's storied history.
Ellington didn't disappoint as a rookie, either, running for 652 yards on just 118 carries. His 5.5 yards per carry was the best in the National Football League.
And he's just getting started. Ellington is poised for a big 2014 season, according to CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, who compiled his list of 25 breakout players for the upcoming season.
Look up my favorite term "air back" and his picture would be next to it. He is fast, has elusiveness and can contribute in a big way in the passing game. He will be the Arizona feature back, which is a good thing.
Considering that Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians wants to get Ellington "25 to 30 touches per game" in 2014, the second-year back should get more than ample opportunity to prove Prisco correct.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.