Updated Jun 5, 2014 - 4:35 pm
And that's why Tyrann Mathieu shocked me last year. Not because of the success he had on the field, not because of how many footballs he got his hands on during OTAs, not even because Todd Bowles started him in nickel packages before playing a single game. Badger shocked me because of how people were speaking about him before he ever put the Sunday silks on.
John Brown is drawing the same kind of praise. I had a grizzled veteran tell me the kid is telling other players what to do and where to line up. Bruce Arians says the kid stays off the Accountability Board, the board where every mental error a player makes during practice is posted for his teammates to see. Many players bring his name up without context. Carson Palmer has taken a shine to the kid from Pittsburg State, recognizing the potential of Steve Keim's 3rd-round pick.
Get ready for 11 personnel, especially during run downs (1st & 10, 2nd & 1-6). 11 personnel puts three wide receivers on the field with a TE and RB. Although I believe Ted Ginn, Jr. will be the starting #3 receiver (another guy that is having a great offseason), I believe the Cards will have an 11 personnel package specific to John Brown as the #3 receiver.
This kid, like Tyrann Mathieu, may be rare.
He has exceptional speed. At Indianapolis, he recorded the penultimate time in the 40, finishing second only to Brandin Cooks' 4.33. He catches the ball with daggers, picking the pig from the air with firm, strong hands. He's quick and precise in his routes which, when combined with his diminutive frame, makes him the quintessential slot-receiver.
Mathieu was picked in the 3rd round and so was Brown. The best thing is that's not the only thing they have in common: they're both ta'veren (Google it my young Crunks).
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.