Updated Jun 4, 2014 - 1:24 pm
What should expectations be for Ernie Sims?
In his eight-year career, Sims has played 109 games (87 starts) with four different teams.
Sims played the past two seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, at both outside and inside linebacker.
Sims played in about one-third of Cowboys' snaps last year. He had 42 combined tackles (31 solo) for the season.
According to Pro Football Focus, Sims has actually been one of the worst linebackers in the NFL since 2007, his second season in the league. Here's a look at his year-by-year ranking:
2007: worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL; worst defender on Detroit Lions.
2008: worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL; worst defender on the Lions.
2009: worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL, third-worst defender on the Lions.
2010: third-worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL; worst defender on the Philadelphia Eagles.
2011: second-worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL; worst defender on the Indianapolis Colts.
2012: 14th-worst NFL inside linebacker; worst defender on the Dallas Cowboys.
2013: fourth-worst 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL; second-worst Cowboys defender.
The 2007-2009 Lions and the 2013 Dallas Cowboys finished last in the NFL in yards allowed.
According to the site, the main issue for Sims seems to be stopping the run, which is something the Cardinals excelled at in 2013, leading the league in rush defense.
The good news is that Sims isn't being brought in to fill an outside linebacker position. According to Pro Football Focus, his best season (2012) was when he was an inside linebacker.
If nothing else, Sims provides depth to the Cardinals' depleted inside linebacker position.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.