Updated Jun 3, 2014 - 2:47 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign linebacker Ernie Sims
Last season in Dallas, Sims played in 12 games -- with six starts -- collecting 42 tackles (31 solo) and one forced fumble.
When asked Monday, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the team would like to add more depth at the middle linebacker position, but they weren't necessarily bringing anyone in with the intent for them to start.
"He'd have to earn it," the coach said. "If there's one available that can do that I'd like to have him."
Sims entered the NFL with the Detroit Lions, who took him the ninth overall in the 2006 NFL Draft out of Florida State. The 29-year-old had his best seasons with the Lions from 2006-09, where he started 56 of 59 games and recorded 282 total tackles.
The Tallahassee, Florida native also spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2010 and Indianapolis Colts in 2011 before moving on to Dallas.
In his career, Sims has tallied 718 total tackles (454 solo) along with 5.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, 14 passes defensed and one interception.
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd named to Sports Illustrated's All-Breakout Team
- Panel ranks Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians as the NFL's 13th-best head coach
- The Pulse: Most fans not very concerned with the Arizona Cardinals' preseason loss to the Cincinnati Bengals
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.