Updated Jun 3, 2014 - 2:47 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign linebacker Ernie Sims
Last season in Dallas, Sims played in 12 games -- with six starts -- collecting 42 tackles (31 solo) and one forced fumble.
When asked Monday, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the team would like to add more depth at the middle linebacker position, but they weren't necessarily bringing anyone in with the intent for them to start.
"He'd have to earn it," the coach said. "If there's one available that can do that I'd like to have him."
Sims entered the NFL with the Detroit Lions, who took him the ninth overall in the 2006 NFL Draft out of Florida State. The 29-year-old had his best seasons with the Lions from 2006-09, where he started 56 of 59 games and recorded 282 total tackles.
The Tallahassee, Florida native also spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2010 and Indianapolis Colts in 2011 before moving on to Dallas.
In his career, Sims has tallied 718 total tackles (454 solo) along with 5.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, 14 passes defensed and one interception.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.