Updated May 11, 2014 - 8:50 am
Cardinals' draft picks John Brown and Ed Stinson once childhood neighbors
But growing up, Arizona Cardinals third-round pick John Brown and fifth-round pick Ed Stinson were just a few houses from one another.
Local media learned of the connection between the two picks on Saturday, when Stinson joined a conference call after he was selected.
"I was surprised that my friend went to the same team," the former Crimson Tide defensive lineman said in his opening reaction to his draft.
At first, no one seemed to know who he was speaking of. After revealing it was Brown, he continued to connect the dots.
"We went to the same high school, then he transferred and we became rivals," Stinson said of Brown, who played his college ball at Pittsburg State in Kansas.
He also revealed a little-known secret about the speedy receiver.
"When he was younger, he wasn't fast at all," Stinson said, laughing. "When he was younger, he was the slowest kid on the block."
But it was Brown who beat Stinson off the board, as a surprising third-rounder Friday. The 290-pound defensive end said he's proud of his childhood friend for making it.
"He busted his behind to get where he's at."
Me and Ed Stinson same hood and same nfl team now.— john brown (@RIPJWALK5) May 10, 2014
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Arizona Cardinals sign DT Tommy Kelly
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.