Scouting report: Arizona Cardinals sixth-rounder Walt Powell
For the Arizona Cardinals, there were two such players in this year's draft: third-round speedster John Brown out of Pittsburg State and Murray State's Walt Powell -- the team's final selection of 2014.
While many may be scratching their head at the selection, Powell truly projects as another "Bruce Arians-type" receiver. He isn't a speed guy -- like a lot of the coach's preferred targets -- but he offers a lot in other areas.
Walt Powell, WR Murray State
5-foot-11, 189 pounds
· Smooth route runner and athlete.
· Good understanding of working underneath routes.
· Excels running after the catch.
· Special teams ace in the return game.
· Solid hands and a reliable receiver.
· Is not an elite speed athlete.
· More quick than fast, with good start and stop ability, but isn't a deep threat.
· Has to get stronger getting off press coverage.
· Looks like a slot only guy in the NFL.
Powell will have to make his money as an undersized slot receiver, being a reliable target for Carson Palmer. But most importantly, he'll have to excel in the return game.
While the Cardinals already have Ted Ginn Jr, it is conceivable that Powell could offer the Cardinals something more as a return guy than Ginn outside of the 2014 season, and that could be the reason for this selection.
It will be interesting to see if Powell can make the roster and what type of impact he can have at the NFL level, as he does have some slot ability while doubling as a dangerous return man.
Best case scenario: Powell could become a return specialist, special teams ace and fifth receiver.
Seth Cox/TSHQ.co, Editor-in-chief of TSHQ.co
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.