Scouting report: Arizona Cardinals sixth-rounder Walt Powell
For the Arizona Cardinals, there were two such players in this year's draft: third-round speedster John Brown out of Pittsburg State and Murray State's Walt Powell -- the team's final selection of 2014.
While many may be scratching their head at the selection, Powell truly projects as another "Bruce Arians-type" receiver. He isn't a speed guy -- like a lot of the coach's preferred targets -- but he offers a lot in other areas.
Walt Powell, WR Murray State
5-foot-11, 189 pounds
· Smooth route runner and athlete.
· Good understanding of working underneath routes.
· Excels running after the catch.
· Special teams ace in the return game.
· Solid hands and a reliable receiver.
· Is not an elite speed athlete.
· More quick than fast, with good start and stop ability, but isn't a deep threat.
· Has to get stronger getting off press coverage.
· Looks like a slot only guy in the NFL.
Powell will have to make his money as an undersized slot receiver, being a reliable target for Carson Palmer. But most importantly, he'll have to excel in the return game.
While the Cardinals already have Ted Ginn Jr, it is conceivable that Powell could offer the Cardinals something more as a return guy than Ginn outside of the 2014 season, and that could be the reason for this selection.
It will be interesting to see if Powell can make the roster and what type of impact he can have at the NFL level, as he does have some slot ability while doubling as a dangerous return man.
Best case scenario: Powell could become a return specialist, special teams ace and fifth receiver.
Seth Cox/TSHQ.co, Editor-in-chief of TSHQ.co
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.