Updated May 10, 2014 - 8:06 pm
In sixth round, Arizona Cardinals add receiver Walt Powell
The 5-foot-11, 187-pound wideout impressed scouts at his pro day, specifically showing off his catching consistency -- reeling in every ball thrown his way -- and displaying his adjustments capabilities.
While a Racer, Powell saw plenty of action for all four years of his college career, finishing with 208 career receptions and 29 total touchdowns, including 13 in his senior year.
But it was the St. Louis, Mo. native's junior year at Murray State that really stood out in the grand scheme. Powell made 96 total catches in 2012, accruing over 1,200 yards of receiving and 10 touchdowns in 11 games.
"I think they liked my ability to make guys miss, and my ability just to catch the ball and get straight upfield and to just be a playmaker," Powell said of the Cardinals.
Powell's older brother, Brandon Williams, spent two years in the NFL as a return specialist with the San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams in 2006-07.
At the NFL combine, Powell ran a 4.63 40-yard dash, which Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said masked his true speed.
"You're going to see, what they showed on television...they didn't do their homework," he said, "because at his pro day he ran a 4.44. That's because he ran at the combine with a bad foot.
"Having inside information, one of our coaches coached in that league for a long time. He's as physical of a wideout as there was in the draft."
In the third round, the Cardinals took speedy wide receiver John Brown with the 91st overall selection.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.