Updated May 10, 2014 - 8:06 pm
In sixth round, Arizona Cardinals add receiver Walt Powell
The 5-foot-11, 187-pound wideout impressed scouts at his pro day, specifically showing off his catching consistency -- reeling in every ball thrown his way -- and displaying his adjustments capabilities.
While a Racer, Powell saw plenty of action for all four years of his college career, finishing with 208 career receptions and 29 total touchdowns, including 13 in his senior year.
But it was the St. Louis, Mo. native's junior year at Murray State that really stood out in the grand scheme. Powell made 96 total catches in 2012, accruing over 1,200 yards of receiving and 10 touchdowns in 11 games.
"I think they liked my ability to make guys miss, and my ability just to catch the ball and get straight upfield and to just be a playmaker," Powell said of the Cardinals.
Powell's older brother, Brandon Williams, spent two years in the NFL as a return specialist with the San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams in 2006-07.
At the NFL combine, Powell ran a 4.63 40-yard dash, which Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said masked his true speed.
"You're going to see, what they showed on television...they didn't do their homework," he said, "because at his pro day he ran a 4.44. That's because he ran at the combine with a bad foot.
"Having inside information, one of our coaches coached in that league for a long time. He's as physical of a wideout as there was in the draft."
In the third round, the Cardinals took speedy wide receiver John Brown with the 91st overall selection.
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b