Updated May 11, 2014 - 9:33 pm
Cardinals' fifth-rounder surprised by late selection
The time he spent sticking around, waiting for his name to be called on Friday and Saturday, as the NFL Draft drudged on, must have been far less pleasant.
"It was surprising that I lasted this long," the defensive end told reporters via conference call after his fifth-round selection by general manager Steve Keim and the Arizona Cardinals.
Though starting 12 of Alabama's 13 games in his senior year -- and all 14 the season prior -- Stinson underwent surgery to repair the groin injury that plagued him for most of 2013. The Miami-Dade County product blamed that for his drop in draft stock when asked what might have cost him.
"The groin injury thing -- that's the only thing I can think of (hurting my stock)," Stinson said Saturday.
Fortunately, though, the lineman made a connection with Cardinals defensive line coach Brentson Buckner during his pro day.
And despite his plummet to the sixth round, Stinson -- who is considered to be an elite run stopper, though lacking noteworthy pass rushing prowess -- is expected to make an immediate impact by analysts, thanks to his experience in 3-4 defensive formation and his high football IQ.
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.