Updated May 11, 2014 - 9:33 pm
Cardinals' fifth-rounder surprised by late selection
The time he spent sticking around, waiting for his name to be called on Friday and Saturday, as the NFL Draft drudged on, must have been far less pleasant.
"It was surprising that I lasted this long," the defensive end told reporters via conference call after his fifth-round selection by general manager Steve Keim and the Arizona Cardinals.
Though starting 12 of Alabama's 13 games in his senior year -- and all 14 the season prior -- Stinson underwent surgery to repair the groin injury that plagued him for most of 2013. The Miami-Dade County product blamed that for his drop in draft stock when asked what might have cost him.
"The groin injury thing -- that's the only thing I can think of (hurting my stock)," Stinson said Saturday.
Fortunately, though, the lineman made a connection with Cardinals defensive line coach Brentson Buckner during his pro day.
And despite his plummet to the sixth round, Stinson -- who is considered to be an elite run stopper, though lacking noteworthy pass rushing prowess -- is expected to make an immediate impact by analysts, thanks to his experience in 3-4 defensive formation and his high football IQ.
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b