Updated May 10, 2014 - 3:11 pm
Arizona Cardinals add D-line depth in 5th round with Alabama DE Ed Stinson
The Cardinals took Alabama defensive end Ed Stinson with the No. 160 overall pick. Stinson, who stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 290 pounds, started 12 of the Crimson Tide's 13 games as a senior, recording two tackles for loss and a sack.
"This guy is a powerful player," Cardinals GM Steve Keim said. "He's explosive through his hips and he does a nice job chasing down the line of scrimmage laterally."
Stinson said he was hampered by a groin injury that he had surgery on the previous summer, however, and is confident he'll be a different player for the Cardinals now that he's healthy than he was last season in college.
"I just played the whole season with it nagging and stuff like that, and it just started to get worse and worse," he said ."I just fought through it and did what I could do for the team because they didn't have another end that controlled the edge and stopped the runs. I just went ahead and did it for the team."
And, his role with the Cardinals may also be a little different, too.
"In the defense at Alabama, I could pass rush, one-on-one pass rush, but when it comes to our defense and how our defense...pretty much our big emphasis was to stop the run," Stinson said. "We had to make sure we played the blocks right, so that's what I did; played the blocks right and then convert afterwards.
"(There were) a lot of teams that didn't really get to see my pass rushing ability."
Stinson started all 14 games of his junior campaign, when he tallied 8.5 tackles for loss and three sacks.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.