Cardinals second-round pick Troy Niklas: By The Numbers
With that in mind, the Cardinals used their second-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft Friday on Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas.
He's a look at the 6-foot-7 standout by the numbers:
Because of his standout junior campaign -- 32 catches and five touchdowns -- Niklas earned his first and only All-Independent first team selection.
2 Part I:
Since the Cardinals moved to the Valley, only two Irish players have been selected by the organization -- wide receiver Michael Floyd and Niklas.
2 Part II:
Niklas became the second member of Hall of Fame guard Bruce Matthews' family to be taken in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft. His cousin, Jake, was taken by the Atlanta Falcons with No. 6 overall pick.
Considered a big-play threat, Niklas caught seven balls of over 20 yards in 2013.
Niklas became the fifth tight end selected by the Cardinals over the last 10 years, joining Ben Petrick, Leonard Pope, Dray and Housler.
Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, 10 tight ends from Notre Dame have been selected in the first or second round of the NFL Draft.
After transitioning from linebacker to tight end before the 2012 season, Niklas started 20 career games with the Irish.
Before Friday, the Cardinals hadn't made a pick at the No. 52 slot since they selected linebacker Ted Bates in the 1959 NFL Draft.
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest paid CB
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.