Cardinals second-round pick Troy Niklas: By The Numbers
With that in mind, the Cardinals used their second-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft Friday on Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas.
He's a look at the 6-foot-7 standout by the numbers:
Because of his standout junior campaign -- 32 catches and five touchdowns -- Niklas earned his first and only All-Independent first team selection.
2 Part I:
Since the Cardinals moved to the Valley, only two Irish players have been selected by the organization -- wide receiver Michael Floyd and Niklas.
2 Part II:
Niklas became the second member of Hall of Fame guard Bruce Matthews' family to be taken in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft. His cousin, Jake, was taken by the Atlanta Falcons with No. 6 overall pick.
Considered a big-play threat, Niklas caught seven balls of over 20 yards in 2013.
Niklas became the fifth tight end selected by the Cardinals over the last 10 years, joining Ben Petrick, Leonard Pope, Dray and Housler.
Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, 10 tight ends from Notre Dame have been selected in the first or second round of the NFL Draft.
After transitioning from linebacker to tight end before the 2012 season, Niklas started 20 career games with the Irish.
Before Friday, the Cardinals hadn't made a pick at the No. 52 slot since they selected linebacker Ted Bates in the 1959 NFL Draft.
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.