Updated May 9, 2014 - 7:40 pm
Cardinals select Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas with No. 52 pick in 2014 NFL Draft
The 6-foot-7 Niklas played two years with the Irish and caught 37 balls for 573 yards and six touchdowns.
"It's been extremely hard to fight the tight end that's a duel threat, can do both things and do them well," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said. "That's what this guy is. There's a few of those players left in the NFL, guys like Heath Miller and those sort of players.
"This to me is a guy who could really transcend into one of the top, all-around tight ends at some point in his career."
Niklas is the second Notre Dame player ever to be taken by the Cardinals since they moved to the Valley, joining wide receiver Michael Floyd (2012).
Nephew of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, Niklas is the first tight end taken by Arizona since Rob Housler was picked by the organization in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
The Los Angeles Times lineman of the year in 2010, the former Servite High School product transitioned to tight end before his sophomore season in South Bend.
"I think it'll help to let Coach [Arians] mold me in to the type he wants, instead of having to change me from something that I've already become," Niklas said.
Since the NFL merger, Niklas is the 10th Irish tight end to be taken in the first or second round of the draft.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.