Updated May 9, 2014 - 7:40 pm
Cardinals select Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas with No. 52 pick in 2014 NFL Draft
The 6-foot-7 Niklas played two years with the Irish and caught 37 balls for 573 yards and six touchdowns.
"It's been extremely hard to fight the tight end that's a duel threat, can do both things and do them well," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said. "That's what this guy is. There's a few of those players left in the NFL, guys like Heath Miller and those sort of players.
"This to me is a guy who could really transcend into one of the top, all-around tight ends at some point in his career."
Niklas is the second Notre Dame player ever to be taken by the Cardinals since they moved to the Valley, joining wide receiver Michael Floyd (2012).
Nephew of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, Niklas is the first tight end taken by Arizona since Rob Housler was picked by the organization in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
The Los Angeles Times lineman of the year in 2010, the former Servite High School product transitioned to tight end before his sophomore season in South Bend.
"I think it'll help to let Coach [Arians] mold me in to the type he wants, instead of having to change me from something that I've already become," Niklas said.
Since the NFL merger, Niklas is the 10th Irish tight end to be taken in the first or second round of the draft.
- Arizona Cardinals sign a pair of defensive linemen
- All-Access with Arians: Dockett to have surgery, Mathieu and Ta'amu back
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.