Updated May 9, 2014 - 7:40 pm
Cardinals select Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas with No. 52 pick in 2014 NFL Draft
The 6-foot-7 Niklas played two years with the Irish and caught 37 balls for 573 yards and six touchdowns.
"It's been extremely hard to fight the tight end that's a duel threat, can do both things and do them well," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said. "That's what this guy is. There's a few of those players left in the NFL, guys like Heath Miller and those sort of players.
"This to me is a guy who could really transcend into one of the top, all-around tight ends at some point in his career."
Niklas is the second Notre Dame player ever to be taken by the Cardinals since they moved to the Valley, joining wide receiver Michael Floyd (2012).
Nephew of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, Niklas is the first tight end taken by Arizona since Rob Housler was picked by the organization in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
The Los Angeles Times lineman of the year in 2010, the former Servite High School product transitioned to tight end before his sophomore season in South Bend.
"I think it'll help to let Coach [Arians] mold me in to the type he wants, instead of having to change me from something that I've already become," Niklas said.
Since the NFL merger, Niklas is the 10th Irish tight end to be taken in the first or second round of the draft.
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves