Former Brophy standout Trent Murphy taken by Redskins with No. 47 pick in 2014 NFL Draft
Friday, the Washington Redskins took outside linebacker Trent Murphy out of Stanford with the No. 47 overall pick.
A Scottsdale, Ariz. native, Murphy helped lead Brophy to the Division 5A-I state title in 2009.
While at Stanford, the 6-foot-5, 261-pound linebacker found similar success, as the Cardinal went on to win their first Rose Bowl in 30 years with a victory over Wisconsin in 2013.
During his collegiate career in Palo Alto, Murphy recorded 160 tackles, 62.5 tackles for a loss, 32 sacks, 12 pass deflections and two fumbles forced.
As a senior, he led the nation in sacks (15) and was named a first-team All-Pac-12 member and a consensus All-American.
Murphy became the fifth player from Brophy to be taken in the NFL Draft.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.