Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: Johnny Manziel 'wasn't a great fit'
When the Arizona Cardinals were on the clock with the 20th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, you thought about how Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel would look in red and white. He was available, and while it's not a pressing need, the Cardinals do need a quarterback of the future.
General manager Steve Keim thought about it too.
"I think we all love the skill set, it's hard not to love," Keim told Doug and Wolf Friday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "But we just didn't feel like he was a great fit for our organization and I think that everybody in the organization has to be on board and feel good with the pick for it to work out and we didn't feel that we needed to address that in that spot."
Instead, the Cardinals traded their pick to the New Orleans Saints, acquired a third-round pick and moved down to No. 27, where they drafted Washington State safety Deone Bucannon.
Manziel ended up getting drafted by the Cleveland Browns, 22nd overall. Some were surprised Manziel fell into the 20s, after rampant speculation that the Dallas Cowboys would take him with the 16th pick.
"We certainly thought it could be tempting for (the Cowboys), being a Texas kid and to have that type of success, but at the end of the day, the Cowboys took a very good player in (Notre Dame tackle) Zack Martin."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.