Updated May 8, 2014 - 9:54 pm
Arizona Cardinals select Deone Bucannon with first-round pick
Bucannon, a 6-foot-1, 216-pound safety out of Washington State, ran a 4.48 40-yard dash to go along with a 36.5 inch vertical jump at the NFL Combine. Safety was one of the Cardinals' biggest defensive needs heading into the draft.
"Not only do we feel like we filled a specific need, but we fill it with a player who we've targeted for quite some time," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said. "Deone Bucannon is a very talented guy."
Known as an imposing, physical defender, Bucannon intercepted six passes last season to go along with 114 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles.
Bucannon becomes the first safety taken by the Cardinals in the first round since they selected Ken Greene out of Washington State with No. 19 pick in the 1978 NFL Draft.
"It's a whirlwind. I looked on the board and saw Arizona and there is no other place that I want to be," Bucannon said in a conference call. "I went on 20 different visits, and Arizona was by far the place that I wanted to go to."
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.