ESPN's Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals taking Blake Bortles 'would not surprise me'
For his part, ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski thinks they should add to their defense.
"I still believe there's probably a need for a safety on the football team," he told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday. "There's probably a need for that good outside pass rushing linebacker during this draft."
That would seem to fall in line with what most pundits think, with the idea being that the Cardinals are maybe one or two pieces away from having a dominant defense, and thus should focus their efforts there.
But when you're picking as late as the Cardinals are and with just six picks (for now) in the draft, Jaworski said it will be up to GM Steve Keim to really navigate his way through the three-day event and come out with some impact players.
And really, the only position the Cardinals could draft that isn't likely to make an impact, at least in 2014, would be quarterback. With Carson Palmer entrenched as the starter, they wouldn't think of "wasting" a pick on his future replacement, right?
"I think in principle I would agree with that," Jaworski said. "But the guy I like is (Blake) Bortles. I would not be shocked if they went for Bortles at number 20.
"I think he's a guy that projects well for the type of offense that Bruce likes to run, that Tom Moore likes to run. The ball explodes out of this guy's hand. He has every throw. He's tough, he can hang in the pocket."
A 6-foot-4 quarterback, Bortles is coming off a season in which he threw for 3,581 yards and 25 touchdowns. He led the University of Central Florida to an upset win over Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, and is regarded as one of the top passers in the draft.
But at the same time, Jaworski -- like many others -- is reluctant to say there are any franchise quarterbacks in this draft, which is perhaps why he expects the passer to be available when the Cardinals are on the clock.
"Bortles would not surprise me at number 20," he said. "I think that's the only quarterback that's going to go in the first round."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.