NFL.com redraft: Tyrann Mathieu taken fourth overall
The former LSU star burst onto the scene as a rookie, posting 68 total tackles along with two interceptions and one forced fumble.
He did it all in just 13 games, as his season was cut short by a knee injury suffered during a kick return against the Rams. But his impact was felt, and you'll find most believe the 21-year-old has an incredibly bright future ahead of himself.
His future is so bright, in fact, NFL.com's Bucky Brooks believes if the 2013 draft was held today, Mathieu would be taken fourth overall.
Quite a rise from No. 69, where the Cardinals actually got him.
Comment: The "Honey Badger" is a playmaking machine ideally suited to play in a multiple defense as a safety-nickel back. Mathieu's knack for creating turnovers would make him a Chip Kelly favorite in a draft do-over.
As for the Cardinals, Brooks' redraft has them taking Kyle Long at No. 7. Long, a guard, went 20th to the Chicago Bears, while Arizona nabbed North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper.
Cooper missed the entire season with a broken leg, but is expected to start and be a key contributor along the team's offensive line for years to come.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.