Updated Apr 25, 2014 - 9:25 am
Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
Speaking after one of the team's voluntary workouts Thursday, Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett pretty much laid it all out on the line.
"That's the honest truth; that's not saying that we're the best team in the NFL and that's definitely not saying we're the worst team," he added. "But anything less than the playoffs right now, at this point with this team, is a failure."
For a team that has not been to the postseason since 2010, that may seem like a pretty bold and reckless proclamation. However, given that the Cardinals are coming off a 10-6 season that saw them knock off the eventual Super Bowl Champion Seahawks in their own building, big things are expected in 2014.
But with the first regular season game still months away, all the Cardinals can do now is get their offseason work in.
"This is where you win your championship at," Dockett said. "In a couple weeks we'll get 20, 30 more guys in from the draft and free agents, but right now the foundation of this team is in the locker room and we have a long way to go.
"Each and every day we have to capitalize and don't take it for granted."
Dockett said he tells his teammates the goal is to get better at something every day, be it conditioning, strength or learning in the classroom.
The veteran sounds like a leader who "gets it."
Now entering his 11th NFL season, Dockett said he understands the value in being around his teammates this time of year. While attendance at these workouts is not mandatory, it's viewed as a good idea. Earlier in his career, Dockett would workout away from the team back home in Florida.
"And we lost. It was 3-13, it was 6-10, it was 3-13 again. I realized that over the years you have to bond with your guys over the offseason -- it's very important," he said. "We've got a few guys that aren't here that I'm texting them every day; and I don't care what they say to me, I'm going to literally just blow their text messages up like, ‘We need you here. We need you here; we're trying to do something important here. The schedule came out, we need you here. OK, you're not going to be here the first week we expect you to be here Monday.'"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.