Updated Apr 21, 2014 - 10:32 am
Peter King: Arizona Cardinals 'sweet' on Derek Carr and A.J. McCarron
Since then, the highest they've taken a signal caller is the fifth round. That's where, in 2010, the team nabbed John Skelton.
It goes without saying that even though it is possible to find a capable quarterback late in the draft, most top passers are gone after the first few rounds.
And while the Cardinals are certainly pleased with Carson Palmer, their starter is 34 years old and not exactly expected to be around for the long term, and neither backup Drew Stanton nor Ryan Lindley, a sixth-round pick in 2012, appear to be quarterbacks of the future.
So is this the year they take that guy?
According to SI.com's Peter King, they are pretty fond of a couple of this draft's passers.
Arizona is sweet on a couple of quarterbacks, Derek Carr and A.J. McCarron, who are first- and second-round possibilities. With coach Bruce Arians' love of the deep ball, McCarron in round two seems a bit of a reach. I will say this about McCarron: He doesn't have a great deep arm by any standard, but he's an accurate deep-ball thrower when he does air it out.
Both quarterbacks project to be around when the Cardinals are on the clock at 20, but it's tough to say if either would be there when the team's second pick, number 52, comes around.
But if they are, it wouldn't necessarily come as a shock, as now would be a good year to draft the quarterback of the future and allow them to sit behind Palmer and Stanton.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.