NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
They were not just on the doorstep, but had one foot inside when it came to the NFC playoffs in 2013, and if they were able to get in, you could make an argument they were the one team no one wanted to play.
For that reason, to many, the Cardinals must find an "impact player" with the 20th pick.
They have to come away from the 2014 NFL Draft with a player who will see the field, but also bring an element to the 2014 Cardinals that the 2013 team didn't have.
The problem becomes this: If you're looking for immediate impact, are you overlooking the best talent on the board?
The Cardinals don't have a huge need right now at cornerback, but if the best player on their board at 20 is Kyle Fuller, Darqueze Dennard or Justin Gilbert, do you pass for an edge rusher like Dee Ford?
The same question can be asked about players like Ra'Shede Hageman and Aaron Donald on the defensive line or C.J. Mosley from an inside linebacker perspective, instead taking a guy like Kony Ealy.
Then there is the real question: Are the Cardinals in a good enough position right now to take a quarterback if one falls?
The hot rumor around the league is that Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel may be available when the Cardinals step up to the podium on May 8, and for many Cardinals fans, that pit in your stomach begins to turn.
You harken back to the Cards passing on Aaron Rodgers because they needed a cornerback in 2005, just to realize they "needed" Matt Leinart in 2006.
We all remember how the 2004 NFL Draft turned out, and really could you ask for more than Larry Fitzgerald?
Of course Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger were both taken after Fitzgerald and are still their teams' franchise QBs while the Cardinals have employed 12 different quarterbacks to get Fitzgerald the ball in that time.
Is it time for the Cardinals to pull the trigger on a QB if they get the chance?
Whether or not the Cardinals are in the right position to draft a quarterback and allow him to sit for a year and learn can be debated. But the reality is the Cardinals, at some point soon, need to find that quarterback of the future.
Could that be Bridgewater, Manziel, Blake Bortles or another player at 20?
If not, there's always next year, right?
Seth Cox/TSHQ.co, Editor-in-chief of TSHQ.co
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.