NFL.com's Brandt: Jonathan Cooper poised for a big 2014
The seventh pick in the 2013 draft out of North Carolina, he plays a position (guard) that does not receive much fanfare and, well, there was that whole thing about missing the entire season due to a broken leg suffered in the Cardinals' final preseason game.
But if all goes according to plan, Cooper will be the team's starting left guard this season, combining with free agent pickup Jared Veldheer to solidify the left side of the offensive line.
NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes he'll do that and more, as he detailed in a piece on players who will take a big step in their second NFL season.
Three rookie guards -- Kyle Long (Bears), Chance Warmack (Titans) and Larry Warford (Lions) -- played every down for their teams last season, with Long going on to make the Pro Bowl. And I thought Cooper had a chance to be better than all three. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, a broken leg suffered in the preseason kept the seventh overall pick from seeing a single regular-season snap. Now, though, I'm told by Cards people that he's 100 percent and looks great. Cooper has great functional strength, having tossed up 35 bench reps at the NFL Scouting Combine, and fine character to match. I expect him to start and play at a high level for the next 10 years, becoming a familiar face at the Pro Bowl in the process.
Cooper arrived with expectations fitting of a player selected early in the draft, and he seemed ready to live up to them prior to getting hurt.
And though he had to wait an extra season to make his impact on the Cardinals, he'll have another chance very shortly.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.