Updated Apr 8, 2014 - 10:12 am
NFL.com writer: Arizona Cardinals line most improved of NFC West teams
So, entering the offseason the goal set out by GM Steve Keim and coach Bruce Arians was to improve, and by way of many free agent additions, the belief is they did just that.
In fact, NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal wrote that he thinks Arizona's offensive line is the most improved group of any in the NFC West.
That's why our choice for the most improved position group in the division truly comes down to one player. The Arizona Cardinals' left tackle situation has been among the very worst in football for five years running. Signing Jared Veldheer immediately gives the group an above average starter, and allows Cardinals fans to dream of the left side of the offensive line actually being a weapon. Last year's No. 7 overall pick, guard Jonathan Cooper, will return from a broken leg to play alongside Veldheer. The team also signed guard Ted Larsen for depth; he's started 31 career games.
On paper, the Cardinals defense's talent rivals any group in the league. Bruce Arians has proven he can coach up offense, and their talent is catching up to the defense. In Andre Ellington, Michael Floyd, Larry Fitzgerald and Ted Ginn, Arians has a lot of explosive playmakers to use. Now the Cardinals should have the protection necessary to test opposing defenses down the field.
Of course, the Cardinals did lose some players too, most notably linebacker Karlos Dansby.
But from the way it seems, the team went into free agency with a plan and executed it with precision.
Left tackle and offensive line depth? Check. Speedy wide receiver and another tight end? Check. More help for the secondary? Check.
The Cardinals were close last year but still needed a little more to challenge both the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks.
And while no one knows if every move they've made will work out, there's no denying they appear to be exactly what the team needed.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b