Right tackle Eric Winston expresses interest in returning to Cardinals, hasn't heard much
The veteran offensive tackle didn't sign a one-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals until days before the start of training camp in July 2013.
Winston is once again a free agent this spring, but the 30-year-old admits this time around he doesn't want to play the waiting game quite so long.
Speaking to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley for an azcentral.com article, Winston expressed his interest to re-sign with the Cardinals, though he's heard very little from their side.
"I can't say there have been super-positive talks or anything like that. It doesn't seem like anything is being done. I'd still love to come back to Arizona. I love the guys in the locker room, love the city, and I think the team will be really good with or without me. They're ready to have a special run out there."
"At the same time, it is what it is. I'm looking to get on a team as soon as possible, hopefully before the draft. I know I still have some miles left on the tires, and I'm looking to burn them off."
Winston, who was recently named the new president of the NFLPA, started all 16 games for Arizona in 2013. However according to ProFootballFocus.com, the former Pro Bowler entered the market as the fourth-worst offensive tackle available -- be it as unrestricted or restricted free agent.
While the Cardinals have all but addressed the left side of their line -- with the return of first-round draft pick Jonathan Cooper at left guard and the signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer to a five-year deal -- whether the team opts to ride into the new season with Bobby Massie, Winston or another option at right tackle remains to be seen.
The eight-year pro made $1.25 million with the Cardinals last season.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves