Arizona Cardinals GM: Jonathan Dwyer can get the tough yards
The running back had a respectable four-year run with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being selected in the sixth round of the 2010 draft out of Georgia Tech, but his career totals of 971 yards and two touchdowns are not exactly eye-popping.
But the Arizona Cardinals are not looking at the 5-foot-11, 229-pound Dwyer to be their lead back.
No, he just needs to complement what the team already has at the position.
"[Bruce Arians] is very familiar with him," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "He's a big banger. He's more similar to a Stepfan Taylor in terms of physical tools.
"He's not a nifty or a change-of-direction type athlete. He's a big downhill banger who can get you tough yards after contact."
At the very least, Dwyer would appear to be short-yardage insurance. Last season, Rashard Mendenhall led the Cardinals with eight rushing touchdowns, most of which came from near the goal line. That does not appear to be a great role for Andre Ellington, and Taylor is unproven.
Enter Dwyer, whom Keim and the Cardinals are excited to have on board.
"We liked him coming out of Georgia Tech and he's had some success in Pittsburgh," he said. "Once we work with him this offseason and continue to get his weight down a little bit, I think he's a guy that could do some good things for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.