Arizona Cardinals GM: Jonathan Dwyer can get the tough yards
The running back had a respectable four-year run with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being selected in the sixth round of the 2010 draft out of Georgia Tech, but his career totals of 971 yards and two touchdowns are not exactly eye-popping.
But the Arizona Cardinals are not looking at the 5-foot-11, 229-pound Dwyer to be their lead back.
No, he just needs to complement what the team already has at the position.
"[Bruce Arians] is very familiar with him," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "He's a big banger. He's more similar to a Stepfan Taylor in terms of physical tools.
"He's not a nifty or a change-of-direction type athlete. He's a big downhill banger who can get you tough yards after contact."
At the very least, Dwyer would appear to be short-yardage insurance. Last season, Rashard Mendenhall led the Cardinals with eight rushing touchdowns, most of which came from near the goal line. That does not appear to be a great role for Andre Ellington, and Taylor is unproven.
Enter Dwyer, whom Keim and the Cardinals are excited to have on board.
"We liked him coming out of Georgia Tech and he's had some success in Pittsburgh," he said. "Once we work with him this offseason and continue to get his weight down a little bit, I think he's a guy that could do some good things for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b