NFL.com writer ranks Carson Palmer first among players most benefiting from free agency
After the first week of negotiations between players and teams, the Arizona Cardinals targeted the specific position players they needed, went out and got them.
The 34-year-old quarterback received help on the offensive line with the signing of 6-foot-8 tackle Jared Veldheer, previously with the Oakland Raiders and a former teammate of Palmer's.
NFL.com's Chris Wesseling put Palmer on the top of his list of the 12 biggest beneficiaries of free agency, citing the improvements along the offensive line as headlining the offseason moves for the Cardinals and protecting Palmer.
The Cardinals have ranked last in Pro Football Focus' pass-blocking metrics for two consecutive seasons, with left tackle as a primary culprit. Now the left side will be more than capably manned by a Matterhorn in Jared Veldheer and 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Cooper, one of the most athletic guards to enter the NFL in the past decade. General manager Steve Keim recently boasted that Palmer can spin the ball with any quarterback in the league when he has time. That claim will be put to the test in 2014.
After suffering a broken leg in a preseason game last season, Jonathan Cooper was forced to miss the entire year. As the seventh overall pick in last year's draft, Cooper is expected to line up to the right of Veldheer on the new and improved offensive line.
Wide receiver Ted Ginn and running back Jonathan Dwyer were also signed as free agents, adding offensive options for Palmer to use.
Palmer, who was ranked ahead of quarterbacks Matthew Stafford, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill on the list, now has the weapons and protection to improve on last year's 10-6 campaign.
Finishing on the verge of the postseason last year, the Cardinals have focused on their areas of weakness and are making a strong case for Arizona as an enticing free agent destination.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.