Javier Arenas signs with Atlanta Falcons
Defensive back/kick returner Javier Arenas, who spent just one season in the desert, has signed with the Atlanta Falcons on a one-year contract.
The Cardinals acquired Arenas in an offseason trade with the Kansas City Chiefs that sent fullback Anthony Sherman to the AFC West team.
In 16 games with the Cardinals in 2013, Arenas played just 107 defensive snaps, accumulating 12 total tackles and one quarterback sack.
On special teams, Arenas served as Arizona's kick returner. The fourth-year veteran averaged 21.4 yards on 23 returns, a figure that ranked 22nd out of 23 qualified NFL players.
Arenas joins linebacker Karlos Dansby (Cleveland), tight end Jim Dray (Cleveland) and wide receiver Andre Roberts (Washington) as 2013 Cardinals who have signed contracts elsewhere.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.