Updated Mar 17, 2014 - 6:10 pm
NFL.com analyst: Antonio Cromartie would give Arizona Cardinals a 'very formidable' secondary
They could nearly double total that with just one signing.
Antonio Cromartie, the former New York Jet and San Diego Charger, was in for a visit with the team last week, and while no contract has been signed, he would seem to remain a viable option for the team.
A guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Monday, NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks said the three-time Pro Bowl selection would not be a bad addition to the team.
"When you talk about Antonio Cromartie, you're talking about the price to acquire the player," he said. "If he comes in at a sensible price tag, I think he could absolutely be a complement to what Patrick Peterson is."
Peterson, of course, is the Cardinals' number one cornerback and usually assigned to the opponent's top receiving threat.
"If Antonio Cromartie is your number two corner," Brooks said, "a Pro Bowl-caliber player playing opposite Patrick Peterson, you certainly can compete with some of the top dogs in the NFC West."
Brooks said what the Cardinals would be able to do would not be unlike what the Seattle Seahawks can, with big cornerbacks who can press receivers at the line of scrimmage.
Peterson is listed at 6-foot-1 and 219 pounds, while Cromartie is 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds.
"I'm not saying the Cardinals will want to mimic what Seattle does, but the ability to walk up and put your hands on people with two big corners, two guys who are over six foot, six-two, that gives you the opportunity to match up with any receiving corp in the league.
"I think that's certainly a good thing, particularly when you add in Tyrann Mathieu coming back from injury as your nickel safety-type guy, I think that makes it a very formidable secondary."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves