Updated Mar 12, 2014 - 8:21 am
Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
Former Raiders OT Jared Veldheer reached agreement on a 5-yr, $35M deal with Cardinals, per ESPN league sources.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 11, 2014
Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun reported that $17 million of Veldheer's contract is guaranteed, and that he'll get a $6.25 million signing bonus.
Our own Doug Franz reported some additional figures on Veldheer's contract via Twitter Wednesday morning.
official veldheer contract: $6.5 millioin going to $7 mil if he starts 16 games. $8 mil if he goes to the pro-bowl. $17 mil guaranteed. 5 yr— doug franz (@doug987FM) March 12, 2014
The free agency period officially began at 1:00 p.m. Tuesday. Before 1:30 p.m., Veldheer had already sent out tweets thanking Raiders coaches and fans, and he changed his Twitter avatar to the Cardinals logo.
Thank you #raidernation for 4 great years. You guys are awesome. I was blessed that Mr. Davis brought me into your community.— Jared Veldheer (@Veldheer68) March 11, 2014
Veldheer, 26, played four seasons with the Raiders, and was a starter for most of them. A third-round pick out of Hillsdale, the 6-foot-8, 321-pound tackle played in five games last season due to a torn triceps tendon suffered in the preseason.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, though, Veldheer was "knocking on the door of the top-tier guys" prior to the injury. He is their fourth-highest rated free agent -- third-highest rated free agent tackle, coming in behind Eugene Monroe and Branden Albert.
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.