Updated Mar 12, 2014 - 8:21 am
Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
Former Raiders OT Jared Veldheer reached agreement on a 5-yr, $35M deal with Cardinals, per ESPN league sources.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 11, 2014
Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun reported that $17 million of Veldheer's contract is guaranteed, and that he'll get a $6.25 million signing bonus.
Our own Doug Franz reported some additional figures on Veldheer's contract via Twitter Wednesday morning.
official veldheer contract: $6.5 millioin going to $7 mil if he starts 16 games. $8 mil if he goes to the pro-bowl. $17 mil guaranteed. 5 yr— doug franz (@doug987FM) March 12, 2014
The free agency period officially began at 1:00 p.m. Tuesday. Before 1:30 p.m., Veldheer had already sent out tweets thanking Raiders coaches and fans, and he changed his Twitter avatar to the Cardinals logo.
Thank you #raidernation for 4 great years. You guys are awesome. I was blessed that Mr. Davis brought me into your community.— Jared Veldheer (@Veldheer68) March 11, 2014
Veldheer, 26, played four seasons with the Raiders, and was a starter for most of them. A third-round pick out of Hillsdale, the 6-foot-8, 321-pound tackle played in five games last season due to a torn triceps tendon suffered in the preseason.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, though, Veldheer was "knocking on the door of the top-tier guys" prior to the injury. He is their fourth-highest rated free agent -- third-highest rated free agent tackle, coming in behind Eugene Monroe and Branden Albert.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.