Updated Mar 12, 2014 - 8:21 am
Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
Former Raiders OT Jared Veldheer reached agreement on a 5-yr, $35M deal with Cardinals, per ESPN league sources.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 11, 2014
Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun reported that $17 million of Veldheer's contract is guaranteed, and that he'll get a $6.25 million signing bonus.
Our own Doug Franz reported some additional figures on Veldheer's contract via Twitter Wednesday morning.
official veldheer contract: $6.5 millioin going to $7 mil if he starts 16 games. $8 mil if he goes to the pro-bowl. $17 mil guaranteed. 5 yr— doug franz (@doug987FM) March 12, 2014
The free agency period officially began at 1:00 p.m. Tuesday. Before 1:30 p.m., Veldheer had already sent out tweets thanking Raiders coaches and fans, and he changed his Twitter avatar to the Cardinals logo.
Thank you #raidernation for 4 great years. You guys are awesome. I was blessed that Mr. Davis brought me into your community.— Jared Veldheer (@Veldheer68) March 11, 2014
Veldheer, 26, played four seasons with the Raiders, and was a starter for most of them. A third-round pick out of Hillsdale, the 6-foot-8, 321-pound tackle played in five games last season due to a torn triceps tendon suffered in the preseason.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, though, Veldheer was "knocking on the door of the top-tier guys" prior to the injury. He is their fourth-highest rated free agent -- third-highest rated free agent tackle, coming in behind Eugene Monroe and Branden Albert.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.