Updated Mar 9, 2014 - 2:58 pm
Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported via Twitter at 8:08 p.m. MDT that sources had told him that teams were told he would be retiring.
Mendenhall, as Schefter points out, alluded to the prospect of retiring in a column published by Huffington Post last month.
Sunday, his agent Mike McCartney of Priority Sports and Entertainment, confirmed the news with a pair of tweets.
The reports are true: @R_Mendenhall is retiring from the NFL. Rashard will explain why in his own words very soon. Stay tuned.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
It's been a great pleasure working with Rashard and his family. I am very excited for Rashard as he pursues what's next.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
In six NFL seasons, the Illinois product rushed for 4.236 yards and 37 touchdowns. Prior to joining the Cardinals in 2013, Mendenhall spent five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, rushing for more than 1,000 yards in 2009 and 2010.
Last season, with the Cardinals, Mendenhall logged 687 yards rushing in 217 attempts, fumbling a career-high four times over the course of 15 games.
The former first-round pick carries a Super Bowl ring into his retirement, thanks to his roster spot on the Steelers team which beat the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.
Teams told Cardinals UFA RB Rashard Mendenhall is, in fact, retiring, per sources. Mendenhall hinted at in a Feb. 25 Huffington Post column.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 9, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves