Updated Mar 9, 2014 - 2:58 pm
Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported via Twitter at 8:08 p.m. MDT that sources had told him that teams were told he would be retiring.
Mendenhall, as Schefter points out, alluded to the prospect of retiring in a column published by Huffington Post last month.
Sunday, his agent Mike McCartney of Priority Sports and Entertainment, confirmed the news with a pair of tweets.
The reports are true: @R_Mendenhall is retiring from the NFL. Rashard will explain why in his own words very soon. Stay tuned.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
It's been a great pleasure working with Rashard and his family. I am very excited for Rashard as he pursues what's next.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
In six NFL seasons, the Illinois product rushed for 4.236 yards and 37 touchdowns. Prior to joining the Cardinals in 2013, Mendenhall spent five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, rushing for more than 1,000 yards in 2009 and 2010.
Last season, with the Cardinals, Mendenhall logged 687 yards rushing in 217 attempts, fumbling a career-high four times over the course of 15 games.
The former first-round pick carries a Super Bowl ring into his retirement, thanks to his roster spot on the Steelers team which beat the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.
Teams told Cardinals UFA RB Rashard Mendenhall is, in fact, retiring, per sources. Mendenhall hinted at in a Feb. 25 Huffington Post column.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 9, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!